Subject: Re: [Leica] Kobalux (was Voigtlander 25mm Skopar)
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 20:19:47 -0400

Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca> wrote:

> I'm curious as to why there are so many discussions about
> the Cosina/Voigtlander lenses and not the ones by Kobalux.
> Is it just that the Cosina/Voigtlander ones are more widely
> available? Both the 21mm f2.8 and the 28mm f3.5
> Kobaluxes are rangefinder coupled, and if the photo that
> Dante Stella has on his website is anything to go by, the
> performance of the 21mm is impressive. I'm curious as to
> the evaluation that LUGgers who have used these lenses,
> either in comparison to the Cosina/Voigtlander or the Leica
> equivalents, may have regarding performance, construction
> quality, finders, etc.

I have the second generation Kobalux 21 and will soon have a third gen.
courtesy of Dante. The 2nd gen. version is a very good lens...plenty sharp,
nice color rendition, solid construction. The finder gives a bright, clear
image but is also quite large. I don't currently own a Leica 21 but I do
have a Zeiss f/4.5 Biogon (the original RF 21). The Biogon deserves its
classic status 100%. Gorgeous image quality. My Kobalux doesn't do the same
magic but I'm not sure any other 21mm lens does either except maybe the
f/3.4 Super Angulon. IMO, of course, and with the caveat that I have yet to
use a 21 ASPH.

- -Dave-