Subject: Re: [Leica] Development Adventures
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:46:59 -0700

><Snip>
> So: Metol, 5 grams
>       Sodium sulfite 20 grams
>       for a liter and leave in solution A for up to or about 8 minutes,
> solution B (where I normally do mild agitation once a minute in a
> combi-tank) for what, 3 to 6 minutes?
>
> Guess I would use the same times as a starting point for roll films... I
> used to do the old D23 water bath, too. Alone in the dark.
>
> Bill Harting

I would tweak my Metol for edge effects. Too little gives too much edge effects
which means if you print full frame black border you get a white border inside
your black border. Too little sulfite would make for too much perhaps grain and
a developer which is not preserved enough. But Beutlers has a measly 5 grams of
sulfite in it and nobody talks about it being not well preserved. (Willi did
sit-ups every morning).

I'm not sure if you could let it stand or continuously agitate or something in
between possibly you could do any of those agitation techniques for either bath.

Steve Anschell says he flunked  (college?) chemistry.
I didn't even take it in high school.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA