Subject: [Leica] Continuing misadventures with inexpensive LTM lenses
From: William Gower <w.gower@home.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 04:09:38 -0400

When I first tested out my cheap-o Jupiter-3, I found that it was HORRIBLY
out of focus when used at f1,5 to 2,8 and up close. It wasn't a bad lens
from 2,8 and upwards, where sharpness and contrast improved considerably,
but at f1,5 to 2 it was sharp as a marshmallow.

I was sitting at my desk (procrastinating) and decided to to tear the
Jupiter apart -it was a dog anyway, so no great loss if I mucked things up
royally. Idle hands are the devils hands (as my grandmother would say).

Well, I tore it apart, decided to clean it and re-assemble. Not before, I
decided that it would look better black. So I found a can of spray enamel
and painted it. Then I put it back together. I figured I had just made
myself a nice black loupe.

Much to my surprise, when I decided to informally test it, that it was
actually better. Surprisingly usable, even wide open. Again, no where near
my 50/2 Summicron, but fun nonetheless. You get lucky sometimes.

I don't endorse the DIY-CLA, but you can check out an interesting result at:

http://www.members.home.com/w.gower/LTM/Jupiter-3.html

Regards

William

Replies: Reply from Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com> (Re: [Leica] Continuing misadventures with inexpensive LTM lenses)