Subject: [Leica] David Suchet, Leica user
From: Malcolm McCullough <MM4@mm-croy.mottmac.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 16:03:00 +0100

Dan Post wrote:

>Alas, a surfeit of Leicas on the screen last night.
>The first was the "Wasp's Nest" episode of the Hercule Poirot mystery series
>with David Suchet's marvelous portrayal of the fussy Belgian detective. His
>sidekick, Captain Hasting had taken up photography, and was carrying what I
>now recognize as a IIIa, with what appeared to be an Elmar 50.

A while back I had the pleasure of working on part of an episode of Poirot.
As ever, I had an M slung over my left shoulder. During the first break in
filming (it was filmed, not taped) Poirot came over, said that he also used
a Leica and started to talk photography. It turned out that David Suchet was
a Leica user and fan. During the day Poirot and I talked, after wrapping for
the day David Suchet and I talked - he is one of those actors who stay in
character between shots. It was a real pleasure to chat with him in both
guises - all the more pleasant because many actors give you the feeling that
it is beneath them to mix with the uncouth peasants that constitute the
crew.

We didn't discuss equipment details. Maybe the Captain's Leica was his?

Most of the time nowadays an actor is more likely to say 'Hey, you're using
a Sony DV camera, I've got one too but mine's the next model up'. At least
if they come up and say 'Hey, you're using a Panaflex, I've got a Platinum
actually' you know they are telling porkies*. For the other NPR** users in
the LUG (I know you are out there) how many times do you hear 'Does that
thing still work?'

Regards,
Malcolm
*porkies = pork pies = lies; Cockney rhyming slang, widely used by
non-Cockneys. Panaflex cameras are only, to the best of my knowledge,
available for hire. On topic - Leica make some of the lenses.
** NPR = Eclair Noiseless Portable Reflex 16 mm camera introduced in 1960.
Many are still going strong.

Replies: Reply from Bernard Cousineau <flatbroke@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] David Suchet, Leica user)
Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] David Suchet, Leica user)