Subject: Re: [Leica] Newton's rings
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 11:43:02 -0400

BAsically- you are right. They are the interference patterns of the
reflected light that bounces between the film and glass surface- they are or
can be so close that the light reflecting off the film, back up to the
glass, and then back down through the 'sandwich' causes the waves of this
secondary beam to react with the primary light to form the interference
pattern- the distance between rings is a multiple of the main wavelength of
the light and the varying width or the rings is from the fact that the glass
may be perfectly flat, but the film, no matter how hard it is pressed
against the glass, will never be totall flat.
One of the devices I have from a Leitz Focomat Ic is a brass ring- similar
to the regular anti-Newton ring filter, but without any glass- it only took
a moment to realize that it serves the same purpose by lifting the bottom of
the condensor, which on the FOcomat acts as the top glass of the negative
carrier a fraction of an inch- perhaps .5mm- and thus keeps the film
reasonably flat, but obviating any Newton-rings.
Dan