Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: digital M
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 10:05:31 -0400

the funniest thing about this thread is the sound of sticks remaining in mud

as though the idea of a digital M threatened the sticks in some way

I personally have seen digital shots which are superior in some respects to
film shots at moderate enlargements. Better color, better grain, better
latitude. I have seen digital shots that resembled nothing more that large
format, shot on a sub $1000 camera. I have seen digital shots shot in low
light that showed a color rendition that was quite breathtaking and would
quite impossible on reversal film because of contrast problems.

And I am a silver junkie!

I look forward to the day when I do not *have* to process film and scan it.

I still *may* process my film because I want the look.

But don't be fooled into thinking that digital has a 'digital' look.

Those who are in the air about all this might like to check out Michael
Reichmann's site at http://www.luminous-landscape.com and read his opinions
of the D30. Michael's conclusions raised a storm when he first published
them. However, I had lunch with him a couple of weeks ago and he showed me
some of the prints in question, along with other work he had shot on
conventional 100 iso film. (I have seen others at Vistek in Toronto).

At moderate enlargements, the digital shots were indistinguishable. In some
respects better.

Note: the D30 is NOT a high resolution camera. Not good enough, personally,
for me because of the enlargement problem and the small CCD.

But it is *so* close.

Can the bumblebee fly? Do you ask an engineer, or watch the bee?

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

ICQ: 109343205