Subject: Re: [Leica] College
From: "Barney Quinn, Jr." <barney@ncep.noaa.gov>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 15:43:34 -0400

Hi,

When I went to college - which was in the early 60's - all students in the J school
were required to have a dual major - Political Science, Economics, Physics,
whatever - to go along with their Journalism studies. One also had to take a broad
range of courses within the realm of journalism. One had to take photography,
graphic arts, news writing, advertising, magazine, newspaper, publishing law, and
so forth. This approach always made a good deal of sense to me. Things change as
time goes on, and the best way to position one's self to deal with these changes is
to get a strong grounding in as many basics as you can. Most people today change
careers two or three times during the course of their lives.

Perhaps an example will help.  When I was in school Print Journalism and Broadcast
Journalism were very different disciplines which didn't intersect all of that
often. Times have changed. We now have media conglomerates. Today the same reporter
may well have to file the same story in print, web, TV, and Radio formats. The best
way to position yourself to make the changes you will have to make during the
course of your working life is a good fundamental education. It's also worth
pointing out that one has to work and function in a society as well as make a
living in it. My view, which is quite un-fashionable, is that a good general
education is quite helpful in this regard.

It might help to give some thought to the shape of photojournalism five and ten
years down the road. Life magazine is out of business. It may well become a sub-set
of TV journalism, where still photographs are simply grabbed and printed from some
form of digitized motion pictures. Who knows?

Barney

Message from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] College)