Subject: Re: [Leica] Gray or Not too Gray.
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:56:23 -0600

The problem with gray gear is not that it does not come with the passport
warranty but that it USUALLY does not come with any warranty at all. If you
do buy gray, only buy from someone you trust and who has agreed to warranty
the camera. The official distributor will repair the camera but you will pay
for the repair.

I would not buy a gray M6TTL. The electronics on the TTL are much more
sophisticated than on the classic and they have had to redesign the circuit
boards at least once. The circuit boards are very expensive and would cost
more than thirty percent of the value of the camera to replace. I am not
sure if it is still on but Lisle-Kelco was including a SF-20 with any new
body sold. This makes the Canadian price competitive with the regular US
passport camera. Mind you that only helps if you want the flash in the first
place :-)

John Collier