Subject: RE: [Leica] Scanning
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:53:07 -0700

> From: Mxsmanic [mailto:mxsmanic@hotmail.com]
>
> Austin writes:
>
> > I believe your premise is flawed.  You need to
> > sample at slightly more than 2x the maximum frequency
> > you want to acquire.  A scanner IS a data acquisition
> > system.  53 lp/mm is 106 lines/mm, which, as
> > you say, is ~2700 SPI.  In order to assure that
> > the scanner can actually "acquire" all the lines,
> > both black and white (which is what a line pair is),
> > you would need to sample at > 5400 SPI.
>
> No.  2700 dpi is sufficient.  2700 samples per inch = 1350
> cycles per inch =
> just over 53 cycles (i.e., line pairs) per millimetre.

It turns out that when you measure the available resolution, as opposed to calculating it, the numbers aren't quite that good.  The LS-4000 has a theoretical max of 78.74 lp/mm considering purely the sensor density.  As I said earlier, the measured resolution of that scanner is around 60 lp/mm.  I'd love to have those 18.74 line pairs back, but I won't mourn their passing overmuch - the 60 that are left do a fine real-world job.

Paul

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Scanning)