Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanning
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 00:29:23 +0200

Steve writes:

> Ok, so if as you suggest 2700 dpi is approaching
> the resolution of film, are you of the opinion
> that a 30" x 40" print from such a scan would have
> as much detail as a conventional 'wet' print from
> the same negative?

Yes.  In most enlargements of this size from 35mm negatives or slides,
irrespective of the enlargement method, detail is visibly lacking upon close
examination.  Only tripod shots with top-quality (e.g., Leica) lenses and very
fine-grained film will tolerate this degree of enlargement without showing a
lack of resolution on close examination.

> If so why do people bother to have drum scans made
> and why do Nikon bother to produce a 4000 dpi scanner?

Several reasons for drum scans:  (1) better dynamic range (often more important
than resolution); (2) a perception that there is information being missed in
scans of lower resolution, even when there isn't; (3) film that is very
carefully exposed (high-res film, a tripod, a very good lens) _can_ exceed 53
lp/mm by a handsome margin--but most photographs, particularly handheld
photographs, are significantly below this threshold.

As for Nikon producing a 4000 dpi scanner, I suppose they produce it because
they can, and because they know people will buy it.  And it may be useful in
scanning extremely clean, carefully exposed negatives and slides.  It's not
going to make a difference for handheld shots and grainy films, though.