Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW week 28 up
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 07:40:57 -0500

> Well it took me a while to do what you all have given me
> the confidence to try.... To encounter people on the street
> and photograph them with their permission. Getting over a
> fear of people is stangely difficult for some of us.
> In this case I was at a local fair and I noticed this young
> woman with fairy wings!  I decided to confront my fears so
> I stepped up and said," Excuse me, but may I take your picture?"
> Then in a flash of, gee wiz you want to take my photograph?
> her face flushed, she nodded yes and turned her body to better
> reveal her wings.  I shot, thanked her and then floated on air
> for a day having overcome my own fears.  The photo is not great,
> but I shall cherish it forever as a momento of the day that
> I stopped fearing people and got on with my life. So it goes up
> for my PAW 28.  A heartfelt thankyou to the group for providing
> a supportive forum.
> Next week, vertical bowling on steroids.  You won't believe it
> but there ARE crazier hobbiests than LUGERS.
> http://home.earthlink.net/~johnbohner/analog/paw/index.htm
> Thanks
> John Bohner

Well John, glad you have decided to give SP a try because I think that is a
good picture. You must have taken this around mid-day, because of the harsh
shadows, which I find distracting. Mid-day sunny shadows are something I try
to avoid, so that is why I prefer to do SP on a overcast day, late in the
afternoon or on the 'shady side' of the street.

Also, do not worry to much about asking permission because when you do that
you usually end up with a photo that will look posed, and the 'candid'
picture is the essence of SP. Most people do not even know I have taken
their picture and when they do it is seldom a problem. If they ask me what i
am doing I tell them, with a smile, street photography is my hobby and that
always seems to satisfy them.

BTW with your other PAW pictures I particularly liked wk23 'Fog rolling in'.

sl