Subject: RE: [Leica] Scanning
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:13:01 -0400

> Austin writes:
>
> > You will see "something", but not lines.
>
> "Something" is all you really ever see, no matter how good the
> scan. ... The line is never
> completely there
> or completely not there, it is only visible to varying degrees.

Er, wrong. You WILL see lines if the resolution of the sensor is sufficient
to acquire the lines.  Lines can even span multiple sensors...duh.

Have you EVER actually used a scanner (I know you say you have, but now I am
skeptical that you really have), or you playing perception games now?
"Well, what IS a line anyway"?  Your statement is just plain foolish, and
continues to show you either just don't understand this, or as I suspect,
are playing games.

> > By your understanding, you could just use one
> > pixel to sample the entire scene!
>
> You need at least two pixels.  However, given two pixels, you can sample
> anything, depending on your threshold of acceptance for the
> degree of contrast
> detected.  Of course, a scanner with only 2 DPI will scan 53 lp/mm with an
> extremely low transfer value, probably too low to be useful.

Another statement showing your lack of understanding the topic at hand.  You
really don't know what you're talking about, or you're just being an ass and
being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.  My guess is both.

You really have become a complete waste of time and completely annoying, as
other people have warned me you would.  I'll bet you even argue with your
self, and forget which side you took...

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Scanning)