Subject: Re: [Leica] There IS a "boke" filter!
From: "Brian Walsh \(E-mail\)" <rbwalsh1@dcn.davis.ca.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:19:53 -0700

Regarding the fabulous "boke" filter (IrisFilter), "Mxsmanic"
<mxsmanic@hotmail.com> wrote:

"That won't work.  You still need depth information, and I don't see any way
to provide that with the filter you reference."

My reply:

I haven't tried it, and I doubt if I will. However, I did play with the idea
of using Photoshop's Gaussian blur to sort out the background. The method I
used there--applying progressively more of the blur effect in proportion to
apparent distance from the lens (that is, providing my own depth
information)--might produce fairly realistic results with the IrisFilter.

Brian Walsh