Subject: RE: [Leica] Scanning
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 21:46:33 -0400

> Austin writes:
>
> > What information have you posted at all?
> > None.
>
> I've explained that the maximum resolution of the LS-2000 (at
> 2700 dpi, the
> highest optical resolution it provides) is 53 lp/mm, and that
> this resolution is
> more than sufficient for just about any handheld 35mm photograph.

No you did NOT explain that.  What you did was STATE that.  It is an
inaccurate statement.  If you explained that, you would have given some
background as to WHY, but you have failed to do so, and have been shown to
be mistaken.

> For what it is worth, even at 40 lp/mm, few Leica lenses preserve
> more than 50%
> modulation or so at this frequency for more than a few millimetres off the
> optical axis.  Lenses from most other manufacturers are, of
> course, generally
> much worse.

Again, that is just a claim that is entirely unsubstantiated.  Not an
"explanation".

Provide the exact source of this claim.  I didn't say it was wrong, just
back it up with some reality, not just your belief.

What about Zeiss lenses for Contax 35mm SLRs?  Some of them have better MTFs
than comparable Leica lenses?

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Scanning)