Subject: Re: [Leica] M4 viewfinder
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 12:23:11 -0400

At 12:49 PM 7/26/01 +0200, Louis Reynolds wrote:
>Marc wrote
>
>... I've had two M4's whose RF's gave up the ghost ...
>
>What went wrong, and could you have them fixed? I  recently
>bought a beautiful M4, and have  noticed that, when shifting
>focus from far to near, the rangefinder image occasionally hangs
>back for a moment, then "pops" into place. This is temporarily
>cured by repeated movements through the range. It's as if it
>needs 'warming up'.

In both cases, the prisms suffered from separation, and I had to get a DX
unit from Leica.  This took about four months in one case, two months in
the other -- I believe they do these in batches.  No big problem, as I had
other bodies to use.  I believe these cost about $500 or so.  It was a
decade back.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!