Subject: Re: [Leica] more noctilux images
From: shino@ubspainewebber.com
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:52:00 -0400 (EDT)

everyone's been very kind with regard to my page.  i'd like to
repeat that before i read the LUG, i NEVER but NEVER used any lens
wide open because i believed this to reduce image quality.  my SOP
was to adjust the focus so as to get near-to-far sharpness at f8,
and then shoot at f11.  stuff like:

http://www.shinozuka-family.com/oldphotos/oldphotos.html

i was first motivated to try out the noctilux after seeing this page
of daylight noctilux images in a forest:

http://www.alaska.net/~rowlett/buddeb.htm

erwin puts helped convince me further, both in his leica lens
compendium, and on his website:

http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/mseries/testm/M10-50.html

many think of the noctilux as strictly an available-darkness lens.
i like it because of the tranquil, three-dimensional,
ethereal look it can produce in daylight.  and when you stop it down
a couple of stops, it behaves very much like an ordinary 50mm.

the noctilux is an "exotic" optic which you can actually use
as a standard lens!  (that's got to be a great justification?)

- -rei