Subject: [Leica] B&W scanning
From: "Oliver Bryk" <oliverbryk@home.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 14:15:46 -0700

can offer a few personal observations. I use an HP S20 film scanner with
VueScan. I have scanned Tri-X, HP5+, Plus-X, T400CN, and XP2Super at 1200
and at 2400dpi. As far as viewing the images is concerned, a 2400 dpi scan
is overkill.

I use the scanned images mainly for editing (selecting and cropping) the
films in PhotoshopLE in order to put together short "slide shows" on the
computer, using VuePro. I have found that quite a few people prefer this
method of viewing images to looking at small (up to 8X10) individual prints
or an album. The computer also makes it convenient to present a negative
"transparency" when that is an effective way of emphasizing forms.

I occasionally produce b&w prints on my HP Photo printer to use as cropping
guide for the professional B&W lab that will make a conventional 11X14
enlargement from the negative. I therefore prefer conventional (TriX,
Plus-X) film to chromogenic film.

I have had to resort to incantations from time to time, mostly from
kabbalah. Chicken entrails are too messy, and sacrificing virgins is no
longer PC.

Oliver Bryk

Replies: Reply from "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com> ([Leica] testing)