Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W Scanning
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 21:19:19 -0400

At 11:06 AM 7/26/01 -0700, Peter wrote:
>This is good information Tina, thank you.  If I remember correctly, you
>used to use a 2700 dpi scanner (the LS-2000?).  What were the grain
>issues with it?  What are the visible differences between a 2700 dpi
>scan of, say Tri-X, and a 4000 dpi scan?

The only difference I can tell is that I can make higher resolution scans
and therefore larger prints with the 4000.  The biggest difference in the
two scanners to me is not the higher resolution, but the greater dynamic
range of the 4000.  It reads the shadows much better than the 2000.  And it
has the GEM and ROC software in addition to ICE.

>  Did you have any
>techniques to minimize grain aliasing?

I haven't seen grain aliasing, but that might be because I'm printing with
peizography which adds its own dither to the print.

>As you can probably guess, I'm thinking seriously about a film scanner.
>At first it will be just for onscreen viewing and the Web.  I don't plan
>on going bigger than 8x10 prints at home, when and if I get a
>photo-quality printer.

The LS-2000 gives you plenty of resolution for an 8x10 and you should be
able to find plenty of them used since the 4000 came out.

Hope this helps!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com