Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo site updated...
From: George Day <george@rdcinteractive.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 05:43:45 +0000

Chaz,

Taking pictures is always better than not taking pictures, so thanks for
sharing.  My comments are pretty simple:

1)  Get closer to your subject.  Much closer.  Put shyness in your back
pocket and get in the mix.

This is a strange feeling at first, but here's one way around it: give
yourself an assignment.  Make it something very simple, e.g., "today, I
shooting fruitstands."  Then go and observe fruit stands, start talking to
people (customers, owners), get up close and personal and start shooting.
Get candids, but also get them looking straight into your camera.

2)  Watch your lighting. Esp. with color film and no filter, I wouldn't even
bother going out in the mid-day hours, except to reconnoiter.

3)  Look for juxtapositions or actions that tell a story.  To use a cliché,
HCB could have (and probably did) shoot thousands of folks meandering around
that railroad station; but the published image is that amazing shot through
the fence of a man skipping over a pond.  It immediately conjures up the
weather, the feeling of rushing around a city, the dirtiness of the city
and, of course, some human playfulness in the middle of it all.  Bad
example, perhaps, because HCB was NOT close to the subject, but you get the
point.

So, my $.02, for what it's worth, and thanks again for sharing -- the best
ways to learn are to shot lots and share much.

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Photo site updated...)