Subject: [Leica] Wet work: thank you and a few more questions....
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@idea-processing.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 17:21:29 -0700

I'd like to thank everyone who took the opportunity to reply to my questions
regarding darkroom technique.

I have archived them myself and will be putting them into practice.

For right now I'm doing single-roll processing, doing the film extraction
and tank loading in a changing bag, and will now start taking careful notes
about my experiences in a notebook, to go with the exposure notebook. I only
which my hurried handwriting was better!

I'm mixing chemistry with water from the reverse osmosis filter - not from a
distilled water source. I'm hoping this is okay - I'm not sure where to get
steam distilled water these days.

Do ALL chemicals need to be stored in opaque bottles? Is it okay to use
translucent poly bottles and store THEM in a dark box/cabinet? I now use
tape to mark the date of mixing. I promise I won't put ANYTHING else in any
of the bottles.

I figure re-using developer is asking for trouble.

Fixer? Pour it into another bottle? Mix it back with the original? Sounds
sorta iffy to me.

How to dispose of developer after it's used - or other chemicals? Pour it
down the sink? Launch into low-earth orbit? The sun? Keep in 55 gal drum and
drop it on the freeway during rush hour with the name and address of most
hated enemy on it?

I'm mixing in poly containers and then decanting the mixed chemicals into
their own container for storage then washing the mixing container well.

Any thoughts of things NOT to use for stirring etc? I assume sterling silver
would be a BAD thing...

Thank you, everyone especially:

Johnny Deadman
Margaret Jeffcoat