Subject: [Leica] PAW 29 (Nathan) - "rocks and ferns" alert!
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:24:31 +0200

Monday of last week we drove to Zermatt in the south of Switzerland. On
the way there one passes through some spectacular landscapes,
particularly around and through the Furka Pass (at 2400m above sea
level), and so I brought only my SLR equipment on this trip (still all
Leica). I also brought a heavy tripod, but it was very hot, the family
just wanted to get to the destination, so in the end all the pictures
here were taken handheld. There was enough light anyway that even using
Agfapan 25 posed no problems.

To get there, one has to drive on roads like this:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/29alt1.jpg
(R8, 4/35-70mm, Fuji Provia 100F)

but one is rewarded with spectacular views:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/29alt2.jpg
(SL, 60mm Macro Elmarit, APX25)

The Furka Pass is very popular among motorcyclists of all kinds, like
these two gentlemen:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/29alt3.jpg
(R8, 100mm Apo Macro, Fuji Provia 100F)

or this younger guy, who obviously uses his leathers for the intended
purpose:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/29alt4.jpg
(R8, 4/35-70mm, Fuji Provia 100F)

But the really hard core people are those who make it through the pass
on bicycles:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/29alt5.jpg
(R8, 100mm Apo Macro, Fuji Provia 100F)

The main attraction at the pass is the Rhône Glacier, which is both a
beautiful sight and also an illustration of the effects of global
warming--it is much smaller than it used to be, as is the case with
other glaciers in the Alps. This is my main picture for this week:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/29.jpg
(SL, 19mm Elmarit, APX25)

Finally, I got in close for some Alpine rocks and wildflowers. I must
admit that the bee in mid-flight on Alternate 7 is dumb luck more than
anything else.

http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/29alt6.jpg
(R8, 100mm Apo Macro, Fuji Provia 100F)

http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/29alt7.jpg
(SL, 19mm Elmarit, APX25)

I realize that these pictures are somewhat bigger than what I usually
post (up to 180 Kb) but I thought that the subject matter demanded it.

The complete PAW index is at:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/pawindex.htm

Comments, questions, reactions are welcome and appreciated as always.

Nathan

Comments welcome

- --
Nathan Wajsman