Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Quality versus Medium Format
From: Marvin Levi <temil001@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:45:11 -0700 (PDT)

   This is actually rather simple.
   Let's compare Mamiya 7's 80 mm F/4 vs
   Leica 50 mm f/2 summicron. At optimum
   apertures for both, the cron can resolve
   110 lpmm, and 80f/4L can resolve 75
   lpmm. Yes, Leica is better in raw
   resolving power. Now, take the size
   of the negative into cosideration.
   24x36mm vs. 56x69.5mm, pick
   the lowest linear difference (the area
   difference is VERY misleading)and
   multiply: 110 x (36/69.5)= 57 lpmm for
   the cron when enlarged to the same
   size as the Mamiya 80mm f/4L.
   The winner? Mamiya.
   Don't forget also that in terms of exposure
   accuracy, Leica's ancient, mechanical
   shutter can be off 1/3 EV, while Mamiya's
   electronic shutter is about 1/10 EV. If
   both were metered correctly, Mamiya will
   expose more consistantly which is also
   critical for attaining that maximum
   resolving power.
   By the way, the 110 lpmm is an overestimate,
   I've seen literature saying the cron can
   do 90 lpmm. I think Erwin Puts said it can
   do beyond 100.