Subject: [Leica] At the Black Hawk Hotel and a new PAW (kollasch)
From: Matt Kollasch <matthew.kollasch@uni.edu>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 09:00:40 -0500

LAST night I went out with a monopod, a M6 and a Bessa R itching to make
some photographs in the lobby of the Black Hawk Hotel.  It is a
residence hotel w/ 50 rooms.  The lobby is appointed in oak wainscoting
and a patina of smoke.  A wooden Indian stands sentury.  Men sit in
stuffed chairs and talk or watch a TV that is mounted at an absurd
height causing them to keep their chins up as they watch.  The entrance
to the Cypress Lounge, a bar, is via the hotel lobby.  Near the Cypress
entrance is a set of three classic / old telephone booths -- ones you
can stand or sit in and close the door. No kiosk concept here.  I took
some shots of the booths, but they would have been better had someone
been in a booth.  Next time I will go into the Cypress and offer a free
drink for someone to pose in a booth. Then I took some shots of Dewayne,
a night clerk at the hotel.  A month ago I took some shots of Gil,
another night clerk.  I am beginning to develp a rapport with the folks
there evne though they look at me w/ wonder as if to say "What the hell
is this guy up to?   It occured to me that he Black Hawk serves an
important social function:  Where would these folks (mostly men) be
without such affordable, safe and clean accomodations?

Making photographs is gratifying on many levels, but one aspect I truly
enjoy is the connection built with the people I photograph.  I like the
folks I am meeting at the hotel (so far!) and look forward to
photographing more of their lives.  Lives lived in and around the lobby
of the Black Hawk Hotel, Main Street, Cedar Falls, Iowa.

My latest PAW "print" is up on the web at:
http://www.uni.edu/kollasch/photo/paw/pages/week-32.htm
Critiques welcome on or off list
mailto:matthew.kollasch@uni.edu

/matt