Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Quality versus Medium Format
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 14:40:05 -0400

> Austin writes:
>
> > It depends on what you mean by "leading".  Sure,
> > more people shoot 35mm than MF, no doubt...
>
> That's what I meant.
>
> > ... but not because of purely image quality,
> > which is probably reasonably indistinguishable
> > in 4x6 prints done at a local mini-lab.
>
> You are making my point, namely, that 35mm quality is already adequate for
> almost all purposes.  Heck, even digital quality is adequate for a lot of
> purposes.

Sure, I agree...but most people on this list are not "moat people", er,
"most" that is...  I'm sure both are true.

I still, though I have Contax/Zeiss and Leica 35mm, only use them
occasionally.  I am glued to my Hasselblad these days, even if it is a bit
more difficult to use...it just gives me so much better results...I LOVE
large images, I LOVE resolution and tonality, I LOVE B&W and shooting WIDE
OPEN (especially with a 110/2)...and that certainly isn't for most people
(or even moat people I believe) at least in taking the pictures that is, but
the resultant images are sometimes stupendous which makes it worth the
while.