Subject: Re: [Leica] Images of Africa WAS salgado et al.
From: Tarek Charara <tarek.charara@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 11:00:36 +0200

You don't have to go to the third world to understand (or better
understand). Poverty is right at your front door. But I/we still have to
dare to look at it. It is easier to look at "poverty" in the third world,
it's probably part of the cliché.

And to really understand poverty you have to be poor and live it. Loose
everything you have and become poor. IMHO this is the only way to understand
poverty.

As to be culturly biased when making/taking pictures... It's the intention
that counts. What is your intention when you go ahead and take pictures of
poor people?

What I understood in the third world was my/our own poverty of the soul.

Tarek