Subject: Re: [Leica] Images of Africa WAS salgado et al.
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 10:35:40 -0400

At 11:00 AM 8/4/01 +0200, you wrote:
>You don't have to go to the third world to understand (or better
>understand). Poverty is right at your front door. But I/we still have to
>dare to look at it. It is easier to look at "poverty" in the third world,
>it's probably part of the cliché.

Tarek -

I work with the poor here in South Carolina and in Central America and
Africa.  There is no comparison.  The very poorest here would be considered
middle-class (in material wealth) in parts of Central America and Africa.

 >What I understood in the third world was my/our own poverty of the soul.

This is very true.  Many of those without any material wealth are wealthy
in family and faith in a way that awes the members of the medical brigades
that I take to developing countries.  They always come home with a new
faith in humanity and an understanding that they have gained more than they
have given.

 >As to be culturly biased when making/taking pictures... It's the intention
 >that counts. What is your intention when you go ahead and take pictures of
 >poor people?

And back to photography.  My intention is to document daily lives and show
that the people of the world are more alike than we are different.  I need
to add a section to my web site of photographs of people in South Carolina
- - when I get a round tuit!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com