Subject: Re: [Leica] help for prints
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 10:15:10 -0700

G. Michael Paine wrote:

what are LightJet and Piezography prints? I told you I know little here.
<<<

They're both digital printing technologies.  LightJet prints are most often
color, Piezography at this time is B&W.  Starting with a decent scan (Kodak Pro
PhotoCD is usually fine) the image file is cleaned up using PhotoShop by removing
artifacts caused by dust & scratches, the colors are corrected, and then the file
is saved in a format the printer likes.  (NOTE: I've omitted a few steps but this
is the general workflow.)

The LightJet printer uses your image file to guide a laser to expose photographic
paper, while Piezography uses an Epson inkjet printer and Jon Cone's proprietary
software and quadtone black inks to make a B&W print. Jon Cone's website is
www.inkjetmall.com.

Color Piezography is coming soon.  Either way the prints are amazing.  BTW there
are other printers like the LightJet: ZBE Chromira, Durst Lambda, Fuji Frontier,
and I think Kodak is now making one.  Custom Process in Berkely has a Chromira
and they work through the mail.  Calypso Color in Santa Clara also works through
the mail, and has done much of the LightJet printing for West Coast Imaging.  I
think WCi now has their own LightJet 430.  Next time you're in Sacramento let me
know and I'll show you examples of LightJet, Chromira and Frontier prints.  The
quality is phenomenal.  I'll never make another darkroom print.

Replies: Reply from "G. Michael Paine" <mickeyp35@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] help for prints)
Message from Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] help for prints)
Message from "G. Michael Paine" <mickeyp35@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] help for prints)