Subject: Re: [Leica] Releases
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 22:57:42 +0200

It depends on you jurisdiction.  In the U.S., and in theory, you need a release
for everything, no matter what.  In practice, you can get away without a release
for all but a few purposes.  Current jurisprudence holds that commercial or
advertising use of an image requires a release; editorial, informational, and
artistic use does not.  The guideline seems to be that any time you are making
money _directly_ from the use of someone's image (as by presenting him as
someone using a product, etc.), or any time you are deliberately
misrepresentating a person (as by using him as an example in a fictional essay
or something like that, something foreign to the real circumstances of the
photo), you need a release.

The gray area is sufficiently large that a specific lawsuit can often go either
way; it's almost a roll of the dice.  A release provides considerable
protection, but at the same time it is a pain to obtain, so you have to balance
the risk against the effort required to get a release.  Unfortunately there are
no unambiguous rules.