Subject: Re: [Leica] Camera for a 10 y.o.
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 15:04:02 -0700

Lea,

As a lad of 10, my first camera was my father's box camera, a Ferrania. It
took good photos with none of the problems reported by LUGers regarding
their equipment.

At age 14 I bought my very own Zeiss Ikonta 120 folding camera; no meter, no
autofocus, no auto exposure, no frills.
I exposed a few rolls of film and learned that the green of trees requires
about 2 extra stops to register detail. I learned also to use my judgement
in determining exposure in most circumstanses.

Then one day I was able to afford a meter. I bought a General Electric
hand-held meter, and did not take a decent picture again until one day when
I removed the meter from my Nikon F and went about exposing a roll of 20
Kodachromes. I produced 20 bullseyes.
The moral of the story is that too many gadgets inhibit the thought process.

However, I do agree with your idea to start with a P&S so that your 10 year
old may develop a love for photography.
After all, I too started with a period point-and-shoot. Perhaps it was that
instant success that instilled in me a passion for this hobby.

Joseph Codispoti

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Camera for a 10 y.o.)
Message from lea <lea@whinydogpress.com> (Re: [Leica] Camera for a 10 y.o.)