Subject: Re: Tri-X 320...extended sensitivity in the shadows? Was- RE: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V20 #217
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 12:55:03 -0700

Austin Franklin wrote:

> > KODAK TRI-X Pan Professional Film has a longer toe on its
> > characteristic curve
> > than KODAK TRI-X Pan Film. The longer toe  results in superior
> > shadow detail
> > when you use exposure equipment and techniques that minimize flare.
>
> I'm not buyin' it.  I've shot thousands and thousands of rolls of
> both...perhaps it's that I don't "use exposure equipment and techniques that
> minimize flare"...just WHAT does that mean anyway?
>
> Are there any actual published tests that show this "superior" shadow
> detail?
>
> > TRI-X Pan Professional Film also has a coating
> > on the base
> >  side which makes retouching possible.
>
> That WAS the primary reason for using it.

Anything has superior shadow detail if you rate it at 320 instead of 400.
I shot 12 rolls of 220 of the stuff last week. It's OK stuff! Bread and butter
commercial film!

I love the typeical meaningless Kodak hype discisued as tech info.

"exposure equipment"??
Do they mean a camera by any change?

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon