Subject: RE: [Leica] Photos of Tokyo
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 16:26:06 -0500

Mike,

Many thanks for the comments. I just read an article this morning that
700,000 people communte through this one subway station (Tokyo main) each
and every day. I agree completely with what you say regarding the moped
photo. I'd like to have been closer.

Here's another shot from Tokyo Disneyland, this one taken with at 35/1.4
ASPH. I don't know either of the subjects. They were just talking to each
other. They looked at me. I held up my camera and asked, "Picture?" They
both smiled and went into the pose you see. One thing I noticed is that
people are very photo friendly in Japan. Granted, this was Tokyo Disneyland,
but I experienced the same thing everywhere; I even had one occasion where
complete strangers asked me to take their photo with my camera.

Unfortunately, my friend, who was standing a few feet to my left, said
something a moment before I snapped the shutter. The two young ladies looked
at him. I didn't notice until I saw the image. I was even using my M6, and I
should have noticed. Oh well! But I had one chance. Timing is so important.
I was intent on making sure that nobody walked in front of the camera, and
on keeping the columns vertically aligned.
http://www.lightcurves.com/images/tokyodis.jpg

Dave