Subject: [Leica] Re: Those who wear glasses
From: "Leslie E. England" <engl6914@iamerica.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 07:35:01 +0000

    I've had an M2 for about 6 months and have had the same problem with
glasses, no matter which pair I used.  I can barely see the 50 mm frame
lines, and forget about the 35 frame lines.  Since I need the glasses
mainly for reading/close viewing, my problem was in reading the light
meter and then clicking in the shutter speed/ aperture settings.  If I
wore glasses for this then I couldn't see the frame lines well when I
brought the camera up.  Reader glasses weren't any better.  I don't want
to wear contacts; I don't think I'd like things in my eyes.
    I've semi-solved the problem.  I memorized an f-stop setting for
each needle position of the Gossen Luna Pro (ie.-meter reading #20, or
sunny 16, is f11 and 1/1000 sec.) and can click in the settings by feel
on the shutter speed/ fstop dials.  Then I'm free to get my eye to the
view finder without glasses.  This presumes you're not near sighted and
can actually see distant objects clearly  in the viewfinder.
    I've thought about going back to my Nikon F3 because it easily
allows use of the viewfinder with glasses, but I like the rangefinder
design and quiet shutter and ability to snap at long shutter speeds
without mirror shake.  I've thought about trying a Rolleiflex since it
looks like it would allow use of glasses and still be suitable for
candid photos on streets and in crowds.  At any rate, that's my state of
the art at the 6 month point.

Lee England
Natchez, Miss.

Replies: Reply from Shel Belinkoff <belinkoff@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Those who wear glasses)