Subject: Re: [Leica] R4 MOT ELECTRONIC
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 7 Aug 2001 11:32:57 -0700

On Tue, 07 August 2001, V8PWR@aol.com wrote:

> I have located an R4 MOT ELECTRONIC for a low price .
> The camera is worn cosmetically but seems to work fine .
> Is it the depth of field lever on the right side above the lens
> release button ? It looks like the plastic is missing and
> what remains of it doesn't move ( depth lever ?? ) .
>
> Any feed back is welcome since I have to decide if I buy
> before wednesday evening , Thursday I going to meet
> the mosquitoes in Labrador .
> Thanks a lot

An R4 marked "R4 MOT ELECTRONIC" is part of the earliest production of the R4 body.  Be sure you get a good guarantee and test it well.  The DOF preview lever has broken off and the lever's shaft has to rotate in order to use the DOF preview (use vice-grips?).

The price for this camera ought to be very low because some repair technicians refuse to work on the earliest R4 bodies, while others charge more for repairing them.  You should be willing to face the possibility that when it needs repair it will be more economical to replace it.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe