Subject: [Leica] 400mm f/6.8 Macro-Telyt-R
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 7 Aug 2001 20:28:16 -0700

No there isn't any such thing but on a recent trip to Yosemite some plants were inaccessible unless I used extension tubes on my fave lens, the 400mm f/6.8 Telyt.

The really cool thing about using such a long lens for closeups is the backgrounds - they turn into a clean wash of color, and by shifting the camera ever so slightly I can get a completely different area in the background, which may be a very different color.  (Kodachromes in a few weeks).

Just for jollies I threw every extension tube I have on the 400 to see what kind of reproduction ratios I can get.  I used a 14198, 14256 and 14182, plus the 60mm extension of the 400's focussing mount and the total extension is 180mm, for a reproduction ratio of 1:2.2.  Subject-to-film  distance is about 6 feet.

Has anyone else done this?

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com