Subject: [Leica] Macro 600mm work
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 00:27:48 -0400

Actually, yes.  I have both used a lot of extension on 400 to 600mm lenses
as well as used a 72mm two element close up lens.  The background just goes
away as anything recognizable.  I have also used a Tamron 350mm macro mirror
lens which does the same thing but introduces a whirled peas look.  Problems
in getting a successful image include no depth of field and vibration
issues.  However, with a really BIG tripod, mirror lock, and a sandbag on
the lens where it bolts to the tripod I have gotten a very few nice images
including a drop on the end of a pine needle.

I think the most successful attempts were with the close up lenses.  Nikon
makes them to 62mm and Canon to 77mm.  My Leica ones only go to series
7(finally on topic), and Minolta made a very nice one in 55mm.  I also think
the shot has to be carefully planned as the image only works if you want a
really narrow point of focus with the out of focus areas going
unrecognizable faster than a background recedes with a 12mm.

Lots of fun in the trying however. :))

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com