Subject: [Leica] Filters for 28mm SA PC lens
From: Malcolm McCullough <MM4@mm-croy.mottmac.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:38:00 +0100

Tom wrote:

>Thank you to all who replied.  I believe it is called 67EW, which is 74mm
>unmounted.

>The 2filter.com site looks good.  $51 per filter is actually
>less than I anticipated.

Sounds about the same as I paid for them from Cathay Photo in Singapore. I
remember thinking 'one buck per mm' - ie about 74 Sing Dollars, not US.

> I am thinking about getting an 060 yellow green
>for B&W, a KB12 for buildings at night and a KR3 warming, and perhaps an
>orange as well.

I went for the KB3, KB6, KR6, KR15 (mostly for tuning indoor light and
window light to match tungsten slide film) and an 040 yellow orange.

>The $300+ center filter, or custom made center filters with
>color for $500+ each are the killers!
>
>Are any of you using the center filter with this lens?

I'm not, and I've never felt the need for one with this lens. To me, the
slight pin-cushion distortion at full shift is more distracting than the
slight fall-off in illumination.

A custom made colour center filter? That must be a real special-interest
item. Do they make it from the two parts of a normal centre filter and a
piece of gel or do they make it from a colour ND glass and a colour glass?
I'm just thinking aloud here. Hey, couldn't you just get a can of black
paint, an airbrush and a Lee polyester filter?

>Does anyone know whether you can fit 2 filters together in the hood?  I am
>thinking one of the above filters + the center filter.  An assortment of the
>custom made color center filters is out of the question!

The one I have would not take two filters together. The filter holder is not
deep enough. SRB or USofA equivalent could machine a deeper holder ring so
you could use two filters (with a simple anti-Newton's rings spacing device
between them). My guess is that there wouldn't be cut-off caused by the
deeper ring, but that is a guess.

If I ever wanted to use two filters with that lens (or any lens) I would
consider using a Lee hood with rectangular or square filters - but only
because I happen to have those anyway. The multi-coated glass 4x4 or 4x5.65
filters are more expensive than USD 51, but, dare I say it, you can get
Schneider B-grade filters in those sizes (still expensive). Many of us
(including many rental houses, I wager) use them in secret and no-one ever
notices. Please don't tell anyone about my shameful lack of moral fibre. You
could mount a circular centre filter in a Lee hood with a bit of DIY. If you
would like me to check out this set-up for cut-off let me know.

This type of set-up would let you use linear grads: that could be an
advantage with one picture in ten thousand (ie the picture you take for the
Cokin advert to persuade people that they just must have a linear grad).
Having sets of Schneider linear grads in ND and two colours of blue would
also help to empty your bank account. The coral grads are just too cheesy.

The other advantage is that, with the appropriate ring, the rig could be
used with other large-fronted SLR lenses. In fact I'm beginning to wonder if
I was justified in buying the 74 mm filters when I could have used the Lee.
There must have been a good reason, but what was it...?

Regards,
Malcolm

Replies: Reply from "TDS MSN" <tdschofield@email.msn.com> ([Leica] New revelavion Re:Filters for 28mm SA PC lens)