Subject: RE: [Leica] Canon CanoScan FS4000
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:08:42 -0500

kb

I know that the Nikon has many more useful accessories for scanning a large
number of images in bulk. That, to me, is more important than image quality.
Regarding image quality, both probably have the same potential. The learning
curve might be a little easier on one that the other.

I say the features are more important than image quality because I think
most scanners have huge untapped potential. In other words, though you hear
raves about one device or another, technique (and available software) has a
lot to do with it. Since I have Photoshop the actual scan software isn't so
important to me. I just want a scanner than can give a raw hi-bit, hi-res
scan with minimum noise; plus, can spit out a number of low-bit, low res
scans with minimum effort. I think both the Nikon and Canon would meet
criteria one, but the Nikon might be better at two.

Features are important to me because time is so valuable. Feeding images one
by one doesn't cut it. It gets tedious in a hurry. If I only need a few
really high end scans, I almost think a service bureau is a better way to
do. Do I spend several grand for a scanner, or buy another Leica lens? Tough
choice, sometimes.

Dave