Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M focus
From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@ubspainewebber.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 10:06:23 -0400 (EDT)

i had a few focus problems with my m6.

the method that seems to work best for me is to put the m6 on a short
tripod (legs not extended), and put down a 1" wide tape measure on the floor,
with zero at the center column.  then i focus at 6 feet for three exposures,
refocusing each time, and at 11 feet (it's only a 12 foot measure) for 3
exposures.  i put markers at 10, 11 and 12 feet (my kids' legos work great)..
on the negs, you can easily make out tickmarks  at the 6 foot mark, and to
a couple of inches at the 11 foot mark.  what you want to make sure is
that you have one pattern at the focus point and a very similar pattern
before and after so you can compare which one is sharpest.

in my case, i found my focus was one inch close at 6 feet, which for
the 90 summicron was not good enough.

- -rei