Subject: Re: [Leica] Salgado
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 12:01:10 -0400

Steve Rowell wrote:

>  When I think HCB, I
> think photographer. When I think Salgado, I think
> documentor (Smith too).

Absolutely. I really don't care whether he was a founder of Magnum, or
that Cappa told him to call himself a photojournalist:

HCB is/was not a photojournalist. He did a bit of photojournalism in his
career, but, as Steve says, he was a photographer. Pure and simple. He
is an artist who for a long period in his life used his camera as his
paintbrush and people as his subjects. And, yes, he was heavilly
influenced by the cubist movement.

But a photojournalist? No way.

B. D.