Subject: Re: [Leica] ELEKTRONIX
From: "Steve Barbour" <kididdoc@home.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 09:33:54 -0700

Don and BD....   thank you both.....Don,  for your initial selection of
these images and your comments... then  BD, for your  additional insightful
remarks about them... as important as anything I have ever read on this
list...Steve           (? all under the subject***ELEKTRONIX...duh)

> Don Dory wrote:
> >
> > B.D.
> >

> > So, below is my ramblings on images that profoundly affected me.  Not in
> > specific order but in stream of remembrance so probably significant.
> >
> > W E. Smith's Minimata image of the little girl being bathed.  Far more
> > impact to become green than Rachel Carson or the Sierra Club.  Just
think,
> > one little picture if publicized could change many people re the impact
> > people have on the environment.
>
> Amazing image. And now at the center of yet another storm of controversy
> as Aileen Smith has given all rights to the image to the child's
> parents, and they in turn have asked that it never again be
> displayed...in any form...
> >
> > W.E. Smith's image of the Marines holding up the deformed discarded
baby.
> > Powerful anti-war image from the "Good" war.  For me even more moving
than
> > the napalmed girl in Vietnam or the VC being executed also from Vietnam.
>
> Don't know as I'd go as far as the last line, but it is a powerful
> reminder of who the real victims of modern warfare are.
> >
> > W.E Smith again with his image of the Haitian insane asylum resident
> > particularly the last one where you could see only the eyes. One image
> > bringing up all the dark feelings inside, telling you where you will end
up
> > if you don't resist.
>
> Yes...But....This image raises all the usual questions about Smith and
> his darkroom manipulations. The original image is pretty mundane. This
> one was, in essence, created in the darkroom as he burned and burned and
> burned to eliminate everything but that partial face.....Still a
> powerful, scary image...
>
> And speaking of that one....it is the cover illustration on the jacket
> of a newly released novel...with NO photographer's credit...and if
> someone can do that with one of W. Eugene Smith's iconic images, what
> does that tell you about the chances the rest of us ultimately have to
> protect our rights...
> >
> > Earnest Haas in "The Creation" the airplane shot of the migrating birds,
> > diagonal band of white against the earth.  Beautiful as an abstract and
> > beautiful as a metaphor for life.
> >

> Beautiful
>

> > Ralph Gibson's half image of a girls face. Simply a wonderful image at
every
> > level.  The one where the edge of the face acts as a divider between
light
> > and darkness with absolutely sharp eyelashes
>
> Don't know this one or the next....:-(
> >
> > Ralph Gibson's "The Somnambulist"  Every photographer should read this
book.

> > Robert Frank "The Americans"  Risking a flaming, it's as if he was
> > possessed, forced to produce some of the best photography of the 50's.
> > Challenging America to rethink itself.  Possibly allowed the Civil
Rights

Message from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] ELEKTRONIX)