Subject: [Leica] Who does Salgado's Printing?
From: Ken Lassiter <kenlass@gate.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 18:02:16 -0400

I have stood in Salgado's Paris darkroom and watched him coach his
assistant in making his prints.  He does not make them himself but
directs the printing by checking every print until he is happy with the
results.  In 1992, I made a video program about Salgado which was
broadcast in April 1993 on the Kodak Satellite TV series, Techniques of
the Masters.  There is a short shot in that video of Salgado working in
the darkroom with his assistant and in the dialogue, he describes his
working methods to me.

Another famous master, Arnold Newman does the same thing.  I believe
many photographers do not make their own prints but closely supervise
the printing.  Jay Maisel does so even though he is working all
digitally today and prints on an Epson printer.  His assistants sits at
the computer with Jay looking over his shoulder and evaluating test
prints.

Ken Lassiter
Boynton Beach, FL

Replies: Reply from Daniel Bowdoin <danlb@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Who does Salgado's Printing?)