Subject: RE: [Leica] "New" Russian Leica copies
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:33:17 -0400

> Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 13:52:20 -0700
> From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
> Subject: RE: [Leica] "New" Russian Leica copies

> There are 2 guys in LA that sell the Russian Copies of LTM cameras.  I have
> considered buying a camera for a Heliar 15....  so I have looked at a LOT of
> their cameras.
>
> The FINISH quality is really lousy.  Sometimes the paint is peeling,
> sometimes the paint oozes over the edges:  Overall, not up to snuff.  Now
> that does not mean the shutters do not work, but the attention to detail,
> especially the finish that affects the users' perception of the overall
> quality, is just not there......and I suspect the mechanical quality is also
> lacking.  But I have no proof of this.  It is just my opinion.
>
> The Cameras for sale by the person in Virginia, look pretty.  They could be
> better.  They could be as bad.

I am also interested in one of these bodies to use with a Heliar 15. The
ones for sale on the web site I mentioned in my post
http://www.russiansouvenirs.com/ range from $135 to $205. When I
quesioned what the differences were, the response I got was that the
finish on the more expensive ones was considerably better, particularly
the body and the top plate finish. These guys are in Moscow but also
list a Virginia address on the web site -- I don't know if that is the
same person in Virginia you're thinking of.

My impression is that there are at least several Russian sources of
these cameras, and they are probably not all finished to the same
standards although the innards may be nearly identical. Mechanically,
the Leica II is so simple that if the shutter speeds are close, that's
probably all that matters.

> Overall, I would propose that you look for a IIIC or IIIF BD or a CL Camera
> and some lens adapters in user condition, and have Sherry tune it up, and
> get a really good camera.  It will cost more, but ....

Yep -- or just go for a Bessa body to use with the 15.

- --
Rolfe Tessem        |    Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com       |    96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029      |    New York, NY 10014