Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: hero worship
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:29:37 -0700

> No, that is not true. It really is in the shooting that a great
> picture is formed. Playing in the darkroom is really cosmetic.

No cast can make a bad script into a good play, but a good cast can make a good script into a great play.

(Similar analogies with models and clothing, houses for sale and the gardens out front, drywall and the paint that covers it, ingredients and cooks, and so forth).

In order to get a great photograph, every step of the process must be done properly. A bad print of a great photograph will make it more difficult for people to see the greatness in the photograph. A good printer can take an artless negative and make something that is visually interesting, and that is indisputably more interesting than a machine-made print from the same negative. And you can create art in the darkroom. It looks like darkroom art, not photography. I don't think you can create great photojournalism in the darkroom. I know I can't.

Replies: Reply from "G. Michael Paine" <mickeyp35@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: hero worship)