Subject: Re: [Leica] Another Sin of my Youth
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:20:57 -0700

"Nguyen, Olivier T [AMSTA-AR-CCF]" wrote:

> Peter,
> that is a very very nice picture.  I would like to ask you a newbie question
> (i am a newbie).  when you print back and white, how do you know what is the
> right color for the skin tone ?  i experience with couple of my prints and
> different picture i get different tones.  Some darker than other.  is it
> correct? or I am doing something wrong?
> Olivier.
>
> by the way, anyone here doing color print at home?  is it hard to do color
> printing?  any place that I can look for information ?

Some people (often myself) print a face unnaturally bright to make it "pop."
An over all high key print i believe is called "Salon Printing."

Fine art photographers will not hold back on the face so much but let them be
more naturally dark.

Reference prints hanging on the walls of your darkroom are a good thing so you
are not left dangling so much with a limp test strip. Hang up your fave images
up to glance at when you look at your tests. Then you can make them measure up!

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/