Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:salgado, printing hero worship, the truth or what you want
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 08:05:38 -0700

> Making printing an art is masturbation.
>
> It is there on the contact sheet or not.
> If you have something to say, say it straight.

I can make better prints from your negatives than you can. I have no desire to be called an artist, but please don't call me a pervert. If you pick a negative, make your best print, send me the negative, and ask me to make a print (but tell me what you're trying to achieve) I'm quite certain I can make a print that you will like better than the one you made. And I am 100% certain that if these prints are to be hung in a gallery, that the curator will like my print better than yours and will hang mine.

Printing is very different from photography, but it can be complex, and there aren't fancy dials that you can turn. Piezography and electronic B&W printing may change this; it's definitely easier to achieve the desired effects in Photoshop than in Selectol.

Replies: Reply from "Barney Quinn, Jr." <barney@ncep.noaa.gov> (Re: [Leica] Re:salgado, printing hero worship, the truth or what you want)