Subject: [Leica] softness of used R-8's
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 00:14:18 -0400

Several things come to mind.  First, the Euro has dropped relative to the
dollar at least in the US so sharp buyers can pick up a new R-8 in the
$1100.  range depressing what someone will pay used.

Two, the various rumors flying about concerning durability and compatibility
of early models with motors probably scares some buyers from used.

Three, the M is a relatively unique product that was designed essentially
correctly in the beginning whereas the R is only unique in using Leica
lenses. Yes, I want to replace my SL2 with an R-8 but then I'm warped.  For
most potential SLR users they look at the Japanese products as cheaper more
fully featured.  It takes either a fair amount of wealth, snobbishness, or
an appreciation of what Leitz lenses can do as well as the ergonomics of an
R-8 to get you to even pick  one up.

Regarding the G series, many of the people I know who aren't photographers
get relatively poor results from theirs: they expect a P/S which it is not.
Also, the Konica provides autoexposure and autowind with the reassurance of
traditional rangefinder focus confidence.  Last, with Cosina LTM lenses
available at very modest cost the price issue versus quality, diversity
again tips to the Leica universe.

Last, novelty plays a part in driving sales.  GM owned half the market in
the US partly by changing a few body panels every year until consumers wised
up and others entered the market with products that didn't break as often.
G's are now old hat.  Probably, potential G buyers are out dipping into the
digital world.

just a few pfennigs worth

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com