Subject: [Leica] LUG: R8
From: "Chris Quinn" <cquinn@mail.sjcsf.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:19:55 -0600

Master Nitka:

Yah, I've been watching the prices on the R8 and they certainly are soft.
Notice that Leica must feel the same about new R8 sales, as they bumped the
warranty from 3-year Passport, to 3-year Passport PLUS 2 year parts & labor
as an incentive.

Check the prices on the used market, and you'll see that an R8 is often
selling for less than an R6.2, which says something about Leicaphile's
loyalty to mechanical bodies, and distrust of electronics (especially from
Leica, speaking from my own experience). Leica users are, I think,
conditioned, or have a prediliction, to think in terms of 'minimize,'
regardless of the advantages of electronics (or we'd all be shooting F5s,
no?), and shy away from the used bodies (the R7, despite its near-perfect
display, is also dirt-cheap, in relative terms). As to the lenses, the ROMs
seem to be holding their value, but have devalued the non-ROMs to the point
that, yes, good glass is cheap.

All of which to say, it looks like a buyer's market on the R8 & non-ROM
lenses. Sorry.

CQ

PS: how much do you want for that stuff?