Subject: [Leica] Re: R questions
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 17 Aug 2001 09:02:31 -0700

On Fri, 17 August 2001, Andrea Cucina wrote:

>     My second problem is the Leica body R4 mot electronic (ser.# 153****)
> whose metering system has completely gone. I was told that it can be hardly
> repaired (Leica itself does not repair them any more).  Is it true
> according to your experience?  If so, what should I do with it?   Shall I
> bargain it for an R7 body?

Andrea,

An R4 mot with a dead meter is useful as a paper weight.  Sorry, there's no polite way to say it.  If it's cosmetically in good shape it may have some value as a source of spare parts but don't expect much for it.

The lenses are wonderful so I definitely recommend replacing the body just so you can use them.  Any of the Leica-R bodies after the early R4 production should be reliable, even an R4 with a serial number over 1,600,000.  The R4s and R4sP are good users, while the R7 is a solid, mature product that should last for many years.  IMHO the R8 is an excellent camera and considering the soft second-hand market for it some may even consider it a bargain if a recent version of it is purchased used.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe