Subject: Re: [Leica] London prices
From: Stephen Patriquen <patriquen@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 23:28:27 -0700 (PDT)

As a dual US/CDN citizen, living in London, I've now
experienced Leica purchasing in three countries. I
used to say that visiting New Hampshire (which has no
sales tax) while living in eastern Canada (which had
18% federal/provincial tax at the time) was like dying
and going to heaven for a Canadian.

Among the three, the US is the most aggressive and
probably honest in its pricing, due to that good old
capitalist spirit and intense competition.

New Leica stuff in Canada (last year I lived there was
'95) seems to be priced reasonably close to US prices
(factoring in exchange and duty/taxes). But used Leica
equipment in Canada has always been (IMHO) quite a bit
higher priced. And the downtown Toronto dealers are
not very accurate in quality grading. Everything is
Mint minus unless bits have fallen off.

Again, the US sets somewhat of a standard, and is also
a much bigger (and more knowledgeable, in general)
market.

Which brings us to the UK and "Rip-off Britain" as the
tabloids love to shout. I've actually found some (what
I consider) great deals here - like a mint Noctilux
for US$1300. Not suspiciously cheap, and from a dealer
(not in London) that offered a six-month return/refund
warranty! I have bought quite a bit of well-described
used equipment at very good prices. Not much is priced
above the magic £1000 barrier, so the more expensive
an item, the bigger the potential savings are on a
used example.

Of course, stay off the High Street and always check
the low-overhead guys (Robert White, Fieldgrass &
Gale). For £1.85, you can grab a copy of Amateur
Photographer and check out the latest new and used
prices.

It's true that the UK market is smaller and that there
is less competition. There is also the London "City"
problem where Wall Street types will walk in and buy
an M6ttl and three lenses at full retail on the spur
of the moment. There are lots of flash cars in this
city, and a retailer can get hooked on the easy money.

Steve Patriquen
London