Subject: Re: [Leica] Photography in Saudi Arabia
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 04:04:17 +0200

Jim writes:

> The Koran prohibits images of living creatures ...

The Koran contains no specific or even vague prohibitions on recording images of
living creatures, but some scholars have liberally interpreted certain phrases
of the Koran to so imply, and tradition holds that the Prophet said that anyone
who created an image of a living creature would be required to breathe life into
it on Judgement Day.  I imagine that if the Koran specifically prohibited the
creation of images of living creatures, strict Islamic regimes such as Saudi
Arabia would have extraordinarily severe penalties for anyone taking a
photograph of any living person anywhere, but to my knowledge this is not
actually the case.

There are probably many Muslims who believe there is a prohibition in the Koran,
just as there are many Catholics who think that the Immaculate Conception
somehow refers to the conception of Jesus.

> We were always being asked to be photographed!

One wonders what they did with the photographs.

Message from "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@spectare.com> (Re: [Leica] Photography in Saudi Arabia)